French Onion Mac N' Cheese
- 1 pound pasta, cooked 2 minutes shy of the time on the box
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 6 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 6 ounces Monterey Jack, shredded
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 cup caramelized onions
- 1/2 cup crumbled bacon
- 1/2 cup croutons, crushed
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a sauce pan melt butter. Add garlic and saute until fragrant. Mix in flour, and stir until it forms a paste. Slowly whisk in the milk, stirring constantly. Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
Stir in cheeses, and mix until hot and smooth. Remove from heat.
In a large bowl mix together cooked pasta, bacon, caramelized onions and cheese sauce.
Pour into a large casserole dish. Top with crushed croutons.
Place in oven for 20-25 minutes; until bubbly and the croutons are golden.