Fennel-Crusted Pork Chops with Potatoes and Shallots
Cutting the vegetables into similarly sized pieces helps them cook at the same rate, so this entire dish—sauce included—can be made in one pan.
- 1 1/2 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 2 cloves garlic finely grated
- 1 teaspoon hot smoked Spanish paprika
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 1”-thick bone-in pork loin chops (about 1 1/4 lb. total)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound small Yukon Gold potatoes, quartered
- 2 large shallots, cut into quarters with some root attached
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
Adapted from bonappetit.com
Preheat oven to 450°. Toast fennel seeds in a small dry skillet over medium heat, tossing often, until fragrant, about 4 minutes. Let cool.
Combine fennel seeds, garlic, paprika, and 2 Tbsp. oil in a small bowl. Season pork with salt and pepper and place in a resealable plastic bag. Add spice mixture; seal bag and turn to coat. Let sit at least 30 minutes.
Heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in a large ovenproof skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium-high heat. Cook pork chops until golden brown on 1 side, about 4 minutes; turn. Add potatoes and shallots to skillet; season with salt and pepper and toss to coat in pan drippings. Cook, tossing potatoes and shallots occasionally, until pork is golden brown on second side, about 4 minutes.
Transfer to oven and roast until potatoes are tender and an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of chops registers 135°, 10–15 minutes. (If potatoes need more time, transfer chops to a plate and continue to roast potatoes until tender; transfer chops back to skillet when potatoes are done.) Remove skillet from oven and mix in parsley and vinegar. Let pork chops rest 5 minutes in skillet.
Transfer chops to a cutting board; cut meat from bones and slice against the grain. Serve with potatoes, shallots, and any pan juices.
DO AHEAD: Pork chops can be marinated 1 day ahead. Keep chilled.
You'll also love
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Shrimp with Spicy Breadcrumbs 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Cornbread, Spicy-Sweet 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Fennel Gratin 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Pimentón-Roasted Whole Turkey... 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Thai Beef with Basil 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Pork Ranch Chili 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Baked Sweet Potato Chips 4.5/5 (11 Votes)