Chilaquiles-Style Roasted Chicken Legs
Chilaquiles is a baked Mexican dish that's often made with leftover shredded chicken, tortilla strips and cheese. In her more substantial and refined version, Grace Parisi bakes whole chicken legs with tomatoes, hominy, jalapeños and tortilla chips.
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chile powder
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained well
- 1 cup canned hominy, drained
- 1/4 cup sliced pickled jalapeños
- 6 cups lightly crushed thick corn tortilla chips (6 ounces)
- 4 whole chicken legs (about 12 ounces each)
- Chopped cilantro and sour cream, for serving
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 60mins
Preheat the oven to 450°F. On a work surface, mash the garlic cloves to a paste with a pinch of salt. Transfer the garlic paste to a small bowl and stir in the ground cumin, chile powder and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
In a 9-by-13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish, toss the drained diced tomatoes with the hominy, jalapeños, half of the spice paste and the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Gently mix in the crushed tortilla chips.
On a work surface, cut halfway through the joint between the thigh and drumstick on the underside of each chicken leg. Score the top of each leg 3 or 4 times, cutting to the bone. Rub the remaining spice paste over and into the chicken and arrange skin side up in the baking dish. Roast in the center of the oven for about 30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
Leave the chicken in the oven and turn on the broiler. Broil for about 3 minutes, just until the chicken skin is golden and crispy. Transfer the chicken to a large plate and return the baking dish to the oven. Broil for about 3 minutes, until the tortilla chips are lightly browned. Return the chicken to the baking dish, sprinkle with cilantro and serve with sour cream.
You'll also love
- Broccolini with Crispy Lemon Crumbs 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Spring Frittata for Two 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Eggnog Made Lighter 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Peppered Pork Pitas with Garlic... 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Hot Dog Bun Sugar Cookies 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Smokey Sausage Cups - Puff Pastry 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Zucchini Bacon Quiche Recipe 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Jenny's Grilled Chicken Breasts 4.3/5 (9 Votes)