Ham and Corn Chowder
Very good! I actually doubled the recipe.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (I used Wondra)
- 1 15 oz. can chicken broth
- 2 cups cubed potatoes (I used red)
- 2 cups half and half (I omitted, didn't think it was needed)
- 2 15 oz. cans corn, undrained (I used one can of creamed corn)
- 1 1/2 cups diced ham
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley or one tablespoon dried (not necessary)
Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add onion and cook until tender, stirring frequently. Add the flour and stir to make a paste. Slow add the chicken broth, stirring frequently with a whisk to avoid lumps.
Add the potatoes. Cover and cook for 10 15 minutes until potatoes are barely tender. I then used the hand blender to emulsify some of the potato.
Stir in half and half (if using) and both cans of corn. Cook, uncovered, for fifteen minutes or so. Stir in ham and parsley. Reheat.