Roasted Salmon with Spring Vegetables
- 1 lemon
- 8 baby artichokes (1.5ozs each)
- 2 T EVOO
- 6 scallions, white & pale green parts only, thinly sliced (1/2c)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- 1.5 c dry white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc
- 12 baby carrots (5ozs), tops trimmed
- 12 asparagus spears, woody ends trimmed
- 3 ozs sugar snap peas, trimmed & halved horizontally
- 5 T butter, cubed
- 1 T chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 skinless salmon fillet
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 55mins
Adapted from oprah.com
1. Preheat oven to 450F. Finely grate lemon zest into a small bowl; set aside. Squeeze lemon juice into a med bowl of cold water. Snap off outer leaves of artichokes at base, until only pale green & yellow leaves remain. Cut top inch off each artichoke. Peel & trim bases & stems, then quarter artichokes. Add artichoke quarters to lemon water.
2. In a lg saute pan, heat 1.5T oil over med heat. Add scallions, garlic, & a pinch of salt & pepper, & saute until scallions begin soften, ~ 1 min. Add wine & simmer until reduced by 1/3, ~ 4 min. Drain artichokes & add to pan along w/carrots, 1/4c water, & a pinch of salt. Simmer until carrots are crisp-tender, ~ 9 min. Nestle asparagus among vegetables in pan, cover, & simmer until asparagus is crisp-tender & artichokes are tender, ~ 2 min. Sprinkle snap peas, butter, & tarragon over vegetables. return sauce to a simmer. Season to taste w/salt.
3. Meanwhile, place salmon on a baking sheet. brush w/remaining 1/2T oil & season w/ 1/4t salt & 1/8t pepper. Roast salmon until only center is slightly rosy, 10-12 min. Let rest 3 min.
4. Cut salmon into 4 equal pieces & divide among 4 wide, shallow bowls along w/vegetables & sauce. Sprinkle w/reserved lemon zest.