Rum Soused BBQ Shrimp
- LIME AND MANGO RATATOUILLE:
- 2 pounds medium shrimp
- 3 ripe mangos peeled, and finely diced
- 1 green pepper finely diced
- 1 small sweet red onion finely diced
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 cups pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup light or dark rum
- 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice - (abt 4 limes)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
For the Lime And Mango Ratatouille: Mix mangos, green pepper and onion with liquid ingredients. Add basil, pepper and salt. Stir, and set aside.
For shrimp: Combine marinade ingredients in large bowl, add shrimp and refrigerate for to 2 to 3 hours only. (More time than that will allow the citric acid to "cook" the shrimp.)
Drain shrimp, and put on grill in smoker (preheated to 200 degrees) for 15 to 20 minutes until they are just cooked through. Test one to see if it's done. Remove from grill, and chill for several hours.
Serve with the ratatouille for dipping.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.