Bruschetta with Pea Pesto and Mozzarella
- 1 c fresh basil leaves
- 1 c fresh mint leaves
- 1/3 c + 3T EVOO
- 2 t lemon juice
- 1.5 t finely grated lemon zest
- Kosher salt
- 8 ozs mozzarella
- 16 baguette slices
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped (2T)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1.5 c peas (from 1.5lbs English pea pods)
- Ground black pepper
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from oprah.com
1. Preheat oven to 350F. In a food processor fitted w/a metal blade, combine basil, mint, 1/3c oil, lemon juice, & zest & process until nearly smooth. Season to taste w/salt & set aside in processor bowl.
2. Place mozzarella in an oven-safe pan & bake until warm, 5-7 min.
3. Meanwhile, preheat a grill pan over med-high heat. Brush baguette slices w/2T oil & season w/salt. Grill bread until marks form, ~ 3 min per side.
4. Heat a lg saute pan over med heat. Add remaining 1T oil, shallot, & garlic & saute until translucent, 1-2 min. Add peas & cook until crisp-tender, ~ 5 min for fresh peas or 2 min for frozen. Add 1/2 of pea mixture to pesto & pulse until peas are coarsely chopped. Transfer pesto to a bowl & fold in remaining pea mixture. Season w/salt to taste.
5. Tear mozzarella into lg pieces. Divide among bruschetta & season to taste w/salt & pepper. Spoon pesto on top, sprinkle w/Parmesan, & serve.