Fried Eggs on Corn Tortillas with Two Salsas
Two delicious salsas top this colorful egg and tortilla dish and each salsa has its own flavor personality, but they are made even better when served together in this Fried Eggs on Corn Tortillas with Two Salsas recipe. Perfect for your next breakfast or brunch spread, this recipe will put the zing in your morning routine and wake you with the fresh and zesty flavors of Mexico.
- 1/2 pound plum tomatoes
- 1/2 pound fresh tomatillos, husks discarded and tomatillos rinsed
- 2 fresh jalapeño chiles
- 1 (1-inch) wedge of large white onion
- 2 garlic cloves, divided
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup water
- EGGS AND TORTILLAS:
- 4 to 8 tablespoons corn or vegetable oil, divided
- 8 large eggs
- 8 (6- to 7-inch) corn tortillas
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 20mins
Heat a comal (griddle) or a dry well-seasoned cast iron skillet over moderate heat until a bead of water evaporates quickly.
Roast tomatoes, tomatillos, jalapeños, and onion, turning with tongs, until charred on all sides, 10 to 15 minutes.
Core roasted tomatoes.
Discard stems from jalapeños and discard half of seeds from each chile.
Coarsely purée tomatoes, 1 jalapeño, 1 garlic clove, and 1 teaspoon salt in a blender or food processor
Transfer to a bowl.
Coarsely purée tomatillos, remaining jalapeño, remaining garlic clove, remaining teaspoon salt, cilantro, and 1/4 cup water (add more if needed for desired consistency).
Transfer to a separate bowl.
EGGS AND TORTILLAS:
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a small nonstick skillet over moderately low heat until hot.
Gently break 2 eggs into a cup, keeping yolks intact, then pour into skillet and cook, covered, 5 minutes, or to desired doneness. Season with salt and pepper.
While each serving of eggs is cooking, heat 2 tablespoons oil in another small nonstick skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking.
Stack 2 tortillas in skillet.
Cook bottom tortilla 30 seconds on first side, then flip stack with tongs.
While second tortilla cooks on bottom, turn top tortilla over with tongs, then flip stack again.
Continue until both sides of both tortillas are cooked. Tortillas will soften and puff slightly, then deflate (do not let them become brown or crisp).
Fry more tortillas in same manner, adding oil as needed.
Put tortillas on plate, overlapping slightly, and top with eggs. Spoon a different salsa over each egg.
Salsas keep, covered and chilled, 3 days.
You'll also love
- Duck Terrine with Wine-Glazed... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Egg 'n' bacon breakfast casserole 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Baked Mini Potato Galettes 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Creepy Cocktail 4.4/5 (10 Votes)
- Pecan Baked Ham 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Crown Roast of Pork & Oyster... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Eggs Benedict Casserole 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Air Fryer French Toast Sticks 4.4/5 (7 Votes)