Pavlova with Rhubarb, Strawberries, and Fresh Cream
- Whites of 6 large eggs
- 1.75 c superfine sugar
- 1 t distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 t vanilla extract
- 1/4 t fine sea salt
- 8 t cornstarch
- 3 T Amaretto liqueur
- 3 T honey
- 6 ozs rhubarb, cut into 2" pieces
- 8 ozs strawberries, hulled & halved
- 1.5 c heavy whipping cream
- 1 t almond extract
- 2 T chopped pistachios
- Confectioners sugar, for dusting
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 150mins
Adapted from oprah.com
1. Position rack in bottom of oven & preheat to 300F. Line a lg baking sheet w/parchment paper & draw an 8" circle (use a round cake pan as a stencil).
2. Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites, sugar, vinegar, vanilla, & salt on med-high speed until firm peaks form, ~ 18 min. Sift cornstarch over bowl & fold into egg mixture.
3.Using a lg spoon, dollop egg white mixture in center of circle on baking sheet. Swirl mixture outward toward, but not touching, edges of circle (pavlova will expand as it bakes). Place in oven & reduce temp to 225F. Bake until pavlova is crisp & pale on the outside but still has a marshmallow-like center, ~ 1hr. Turn off oven, prop door open a crack w/a wooden spoon, & keep pavlova inside until cooled slightly, ~ 30 min. Remove from oven to cool completely.
4. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, whisk Amaretto & honey over med-high heat until mixture comes to a simmer, ~ 2min. Add rhubarb, cook 1 min, & return to a simmer. Immediately remove pan from heat & set aside until rhubarb softens, ~ 5 min. Transfer mixture to a med bowl. Add strawberries & stir to coat. Set aside, stirring occasionally, until strawberries release juices, about 30 min.
5. In a lg bow;l, whip cream & almond extract until soft peaks form. Set pavlova on a platter. Spoon whipped cream on top. Using a slotted spoon, arrange strawberry-rhubarb mixture over cream, reserving juices. Sprinkle w/pistachios & sift confectioners sugar on top. To serve, cut into wedges, transfer to plates, & drizzle reserved strawberry rhubarb juices around each piece.