Enchilada Salsa Verde
- For the salsa verde:
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatillos, husks removed
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, peeled, cut into wedges
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 or 2 serrano chiles, cut in half, stems removed (depending on how hot you want it)
- 1 cup cilantro, leaves and stems
- Salt to taste
- For the enchiladas:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 1/2 cups cooked carnitas or cooked shredded chicken
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Muenster, Asadero or Monterey Jack cheese
- Sour cream
- 1/2 medium onion, peeled, cut into rings
- 2 peeled and pitted avocadoes, cubed
To make the salsa, place the tomatillos, onion, garlic, serrano chiles and cilantro in a large pot. Add 3 cups of water and bring to a boil on high. Continue to boil uncovered for 10 minutes or until the tomatillos go from a bright green to a light, muted green (If the water doesn’t cover them completely, don’t add more water just turn the tomatillos in the pot halfway through the cooking so all sides are exposed to the boiling water). Turn of the heat and let cool for 10 minutes. Transfer the pot contents to a blender and blend until smooth. (If you don’t let the vegetables cool, the steam will make the blender lid pop off, which makes for a bit of a mess.) Add salt to taste.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish and spread 1 cup of the salsa along the bottom. In a skillet, heat up the oil on medium-low heat. One at a time, heat up the tortillas in the oil, and then keep them wrapped in a cloth or tortilla warmer until all the tortillas are heated.
To assemble the enchiladas, take a heated tortilla, place 1/4 cup of the cooked carnitas or chicken down the center, and then roll the tortilla. Place filled tortilla in the baking dish and repeat.
Pour evenly over the rolled enchiladas the rest of the salsa. Top with the shredded cheese. Bake uncovered for 15 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned and bubbling. Serve warm topped with sour cream, onion slices and avocadoes.
Yield: 4-6 servings
You'll also love
- Grilled Lamb Meatballs with Salsa... 4.3/5 (3 Votes)