Apple, Pear & Candied Pecan Salad
- 2 tablespoons cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg white
- 1 1/2 cup raw pecan halves
- 2 Bosc or other firm pears
- 1 red apple such as Fuji or Pink Lady, peeled if desired and thinly sliced
- 1 green apple such as Granny Smith or Pippin, peeled if desired and thinly sliced
- 4 cups field greens or any baby greens
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese or feta cheese
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, more or less to taste
- 2 tablespoons pear or raspberry vinegar, more or less to taste
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 325°F.
Spoon sugar and cinnamon into a large bowl or plastic bag. Mix well and set aside. Place egg white in a separate bowl, whisk until frothy, and add pecans. Toss to coat completely. Add pecans to cinnamon-sugar and toss well to coat all pecans. Spread them on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow them to cool, breaking them up with a spatula.
Meanwhile, toss pears, apples, greens, onion slices and cheese in a large serving bowl. Add pecans when cooled.
In a smaller bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper. Drizzle over salad, toss to combine and serve immediately.
PER SERVING:320 calories (240 from fat), 27g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 15mg cholesterol, 250mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (5g dietary fiber, 11g sugar), 7g protein