Firehouse Sausage Chili
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons wet mined garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 pounds Mild Italian Johnsonville Sausage
- 3 cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 2 packages McCormick Chili Seasoning Mix (any flavor, I used Mild)
- 3 - 15 ounce cans Bush’s dark red kidney beans
- 2 - 15 ounce cans Bush’s light red kidney beans
- 2 cans yellow corn
- Water, as desired
Sauté onions in large skillet (or in base of large enameled cast iron Dutch oven), in butter and garlic until translucent.
Remove all but about 1/2 cup from the sauté pan and reserve for later use.
In same sauté pan or Dutch oven, brown the sausage with the 1/2 cup of onions, salt, and pepper flakes.
Once browned, add in reserved sautéed onions, canned tomatoes, and chili seasoning. Bring to a simmer for 40 minutes.
After 40 minutes, drain beans and add to sausage. If a thinner chili is desired, add water as needed.
Return to a simmer for 20 minutes.
Drain corn; add to chili after 20 minutes.
Cook an additional 5-10 minutes. Serve and enjoy!