- 2 skin-on, bone-in chicken breast halves, halved crosswise
- 2 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound small red potatoes, quartered
- 1 Meyer lemon, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices and seeded
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson), divided
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 ounces pitted Castelvetrano olives
- 2 tablespoons fresh Meyer lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves
Preparation time 27mins
Cooking time 39mins
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; coat with cooking spray. Add chicken to pan, skin side down; cook 6 minutes or until skin is golden brown and crisp. Turn chicken over. Place pan in oven. Bake at 400° for 12 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in thickest portion of chicken registers 165°.
3. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm. Discard pan drippings (do not wipe pan clean). Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add potatoes to pan; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook potatoes 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove potatoes from pan. Add lemon slices to pan; cook 1 minute on each side or until browned. Remove lemon from pan. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add shallots and garlic; sauté 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add wine and chopped fresh thyme; cook 1 minute or until liquid almost evaporates, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
4. Return potatoes and lemon slices to pan. Add 2/3 cup stock, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook 2 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Combine remaining 1/3 cup stock and cornstarch, stirring with a whisk. Add cornstarch mixture and olives to pan; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Stir in lemon juice and butter, stirring until butter melts. Return chicken to pan, turning to coat; sprinkle with parsley.
If you like red potatoes, try Skillet Chicken and Vegetables:
Prepare Meyer Lemon Chicken through step 3, decreasing potatoes to 12 ounces, omitting lemons and shallots, and substituting 2 cups (1/2-inch-thick) slices carrot, 2 cups (1/2-inch-thick) slices celery, and 1 large red onion, cut into 12 wedges. Cook vegetables for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Substitute 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano for thyme. Return vegetable mixture to pan. Combine 1 1/2 cups unsalted chicken stock and 2 teaspoons cornstarch. Add stock mixture, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper to pan; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute. Stir in 2 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice. Return chicken to pan. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley.
Serves 6 (serving size: 1 breast piece or 1 thigh, about 1 cup vegetable mixture, and about 1/4 cup sauce)
Calories 399; Fat 23.7g (sat 7.2g); Sodium 533mg