Pasta Fagioli Soup
Don't let the long list of ingredients hinder you from making this healthy, delicious Olive Garden copycat soup, almost half of them are seasonings.
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (93/7)
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 - 2 ribs celery, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 - 3 whole carrots, diced or sliced (1 1/4 cups) (or baby carrots)
- 1 (15-16 oz) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-16 oz) can cannellini beans (white kidney beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-16 oz) can navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 (14.5 oz) cans reduced sodium beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans Hunt's petite-diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- Cayenne pepper or hot pepper sauce to taste, optional
- 1 cup ditalini pasta (or other small pasta), uncooked
- Garnish: freshly grated or shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
Chop, dice, rinse and drain what needs to be and get all other ingredients out.
In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat; add ground beef, onions, celery, and carrots. Sprinkle with a little garlic salt and black pepper and cook about10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink and veggies have softened slightly, stirring frequently. Drain fat, if needed.
Add all remaining ingredients except the pasta. Bring to a bubble then reduce heat to medium-low/or low (just to maintain a low bubble) and simmer, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes or until carrots are just tender.
About 20 minutes before serving time, cook the pasta in boiling salted water as directed on package. Drain in a colander.
To serve, spoon about 1/3 cup cooked pasta into individual serving bowls. Top with desired amount of the soup. Garnish with freshly grated or shredded Parmesan cheese if desired. Delicious served with a hot grilled cheese sandwich.
Slow Cooker Method:
Brown meat and veggies as directed above. Add this and all remaining ingredients except the pasta to a 6 to 7-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on Low for 5-7 hours or High for 2-4 hours, stirring occasionally.
About 20 minutes before serving time, cook the pasta separately and serve as directed above.
(((NOTE-- If the soup is to be served all at once or at a gathering or potluck, feel free to add the drained pasta directly to the pot of soup, otherwise the pasta will absorb most of the liquid and is not recommended.)))