Sweet and Salty Bacon and Nuts
- 8 ounces (8 to 9 slices), applewood-smoked bacon, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup raw almonds (about 5 ounces)
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped (about 4 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/sweet-and-salty-bacon-and-nuts-recipe.html?oc=linkback
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Cook the bacon over medium heat in a large skillet until brown and crisp, 8 to 9 minutes. Remove the bacon using a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Pour 1/4 cup of the bacon fat on a heavy rimmed baking sheet and spread evenly.
Beat the egg white and salt until just foamy using a whisk in a medium bowl. Gradually add the sugar and beat until just blended. Add the almonds, walnuts and cayenne pepper. Toss until the nuts are coated.
Spread the nut mixture in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake until the nuts are crisp and brown, about 35 minutes, turning and stirring the nut mixture with a metal spatula every 10 to 15 minutes. Cool for 2 hours.
Transfer the nut mixture to a bowl; add the bacon pieces and toss to blend. This recipe can be prepared 1 day ahead and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/sweet-and-salty-bacon-and-nuts-recipe.html?oc=linkback