- 3 cups peeled crawfish tails, whole
- 1 small yellow onion -- chopped
- 1 bunch green onion tops -- chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper -- diced
- 1 red bell pepper -- diced
- 1 tomato -- seeded and diced
- 2 cups water
- 1 stalk celery -- chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley
- 4 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt -- (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups cooked white rice
Make a medium brown roux with flour and oil. Add butter and allow it to
Saute onion in roux until translucent. Add onions, green and red peppers
and garlic. Cook until tender, about 3 minutes.
Remove seeds from tomato and chop. Add to roux.
Add water and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to a simmer and add celery,
bay leaf, basil, and parsley. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add crawfish, salt,
pepper, and hot sauce. Stir well and simmer for an additional 10-15
minutes. Stir in green onion tops.
Serve over hot, cooked rice.