- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 4 c. fish stock (or low-sodium vegetable broth)
- 1 c. dry white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 1 lb. lump crab meat
- Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 55mins
1. In a large, heavy pot over medium heat, heat butter. Add onion and celery and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and Old Bay, then stir in garlic and tomato paste. Cook until garlic is fragrant and tomato paste coats vegetables, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle over flour and cook until absorbed, 1 minute more.
2. Pour in seafood stock and wine, then stir in bay leaf. Reduce heat and let simmer until liquid is reduced and flavors meld, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
3. Remove bay leaf and puree soup with an immersion blender on high until very smooth. Return to medium low heat and stir in heavy cream and half of the crab meat. Cook until just warmed through, about 5 minutes.
4. Divide among bowls and garnish with remaining crab meat and parsley before serving.