Spinach Chickpea Burgers
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted cumin seeds
- 5 ounces fresh spinach
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 2 eggs
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chickpea flour or more if needed
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a medium skillet. Add the cumin seeds and spinach and cook, tossing with tongs, until the spinach is completely wilted, 2 or 3 minutes. Transfer to a heatproof plate and allow to cool until safe to handle. Drain if necessary, wrap in a towel, and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Chop finely.
3. Combine 1 1/4 cups of the chickpeas, the eggs, lemon juice, and salt in a food processor. Pulse until the mixture resembles a chunky hummus.
4. In a large bowl, combine the spinach with the remaining 1/4 cup beans and mash coarsely with a potato masher. Add the bean-egg mixture and stir thoroughly. Fold in the chickpea flour. The mixture should be sticky but somewhat pliable. Add more flour, 1 teaspoon at a time, if too wet, or a bit of water if too dry. Shape into 5 patties.
5. In an oven-safe skillet or nonstick sauté pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add the patties and cook until browned on each side, 6 to 10 minutes total. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the burgers are firm and cooked through.
You'll also love
- Shrimp Diablo 0/5 (0 Votes)
- The Sublime Ice Cream Sandwich 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Coconut Dream Pie 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chicken, Spinach & Mushroom Pasta... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Roasted Red Pepper & Tomato Soup... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grilled Zucchini II 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cucumber, White Bean and Avocado... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chipotle-Maple Black Beans 0/5 (0 Votes)