Chicken Soup With Lime (sonoma diet)
Looking for something to really warm you up? Give your usual chicken noodle soup a Mexican-inspired makeover for a taste that's muy caliente!
START TO FINISH: 30 minutes MAKES: 4 servings
Nutrition Facts per serving: 178 cal., 8 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 45 mg chol., 719 mg sodium, 6 g carbo., 1 g fiber, 21 g pro.
- 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- Kosher salt (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (1 1/2 teaspoons minced)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon hot chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds, crushed, or 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 2 14-ounce cans chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
Cooking time 30mins
If desired, season chicken with kosher salt and black pepper. In a Dutch oven, cook chicken and garlic in hot oil over medium-high heat until chicken is no longer pink. Stir in chili powder, cumin seeds, and, if desired, crushed red pepper. Cook and stir for 30 seconds. Stir in chicken broth and green onions. Bring to boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in tomato, lime juice, and cilantro.