Bibb Lettuce Salad with Vinegar-Roasted Beets
Chef Jamie Malone roasts beets in vinegar so they’re sweet and tangy all the way through, as if they were dressed from within. F&W’s Justin Chapple takes Malone’s vinegar-roasted beets and adds them to this healthy salad.
Sweet beets can be tricky with wine. They do pair well, though, with northern Italian whites because of the wines’ terrific acidity and concentrated flavors, thanks to the cool mountain air and long growing season.
- 1 1/4 cups plus 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 pounds small beets
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons minced shallot
- Two 8-ounce heads of Bibb lettuce, light green leaves only, large leaves torn
- Cilantro leaves and small dill sprigs, for garnish
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 75mins
Adapted from food&wine.com
Preheat the oven to 425°. In a large, deep ovenproof skillet, whisk 1 1/4 cups of the vinegar with the water, sugar and 1 tablespoon of salt. Add the beets, thyme, garlic and bay leaf. Cover the skillet and roast the beets for about 45 minutes, until tender, turning them halfway through. Remove the beets from the skillet and let cool completely, then peel and cut into wedges; discard the cooking liquid.
In a medium bowl, whisk the yogurt with the shallot and the remaining 3 tablespoons of vinegar. Season the dressing with salt and pepper.
Arrange the lettuce on a platter and top with the beets. Drizzle with half of the dressing and garnish with cilantro leaves and dill sprigs. Serve right away, passing the remaining dressing at the table.
MAKE AHEAD The drained roasted beets can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
You'll also love
- Grilled Fig Salad with Spiced... 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Pumpkin Cake Roll with Bourbon... 4.4/5 (16 Votes)
- Zucchini Pancake With Blistered... 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Spinach Feta and Potato Gratin 4.4/5 (16 Votes)
- Arugula, Fig & Bleu Cheese Salad 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Boston Lettuce and Fettuccine 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Spinach and Beet Salad with Green... 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Vietnamese Kebabs with Sugarcane... 4.5/5 (6 Votes)