Green Papaya Salad
- 8 ounces string beans
- 3 plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup roasted unsalted peanuts
- 2 large green papayas -(1 lb ea) peeled, seeded, and julienned
- 1/4 cup Thai fish sauce
- 1/4 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons red-pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup roughly-chopped cilantro leaves
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the string beans and cook for 2 minutes, plunge into cold water. Drain well and cut each bean in half. Halve the tomatoes lengthwise and remove the seeds. Slice the halves into 1/8-inch strips. Roughly chop all but 2 tablespoons of peanuts.
In a bowl toss papaya with the beans, tomatoes, chopped peanuts, papayas, fish sauce, lemon and lime juices, sugar, garlic, red pepper flakes and 3 tablespoons cilantro. Garnish with remaining peanuts and cilantro.
This recipe yields 4 servings.