Spicy Barbecued Chicken with Miso Corn
Chef and TV personality Judy Joo’s grilled chicken gets extra crusty thanks to brown sugar in the marinade. Mixing miso into the butter for the corn adds a good umami kick.
Fruity German wheat beer: Paulaner Hefe-Weizen.
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon white miso or doenjang (Korean fermented bean paste)
- 1/2 scallion, thinly sliced
- Canola oil, for brushing
- 4 ears of corn, shucked
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from food&wine.com
Make the chicken In a large bowl, stir together all of the ingredients except the chicken. Add the chicken thighs and toss to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the corn In a small bowl, mix the butter with the miso and scallion.
Light a grill and brush the grate with canola oil. Grill the corn and chicken over moderate heat, turning, until charred in spots and the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes for the corn and 12 to 15 minutes for the chicken. Transfer the corn to a large platter and slather with the seasoned butter. Arrange the chicken alongside, garnish with sliced scallion and serve warm.