Spicy Red Lentil Soup with Vegetables
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 2 medium zucchini, peeled and diced
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 L/ 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 2 Tbsp red paprika
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- crushed red pepper to serve
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from mariaushakova.com
1.Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, for 2 to 4 minutes. Ad the carrots and cook until the vegetables start to caramelize, for about 4 more minutes.
2.Add the zucchini and tomatoes. Stir and saute the vegetables until they start to soften, for about 4 minutes.
3.Add the vegetable broth, water, lentils, red paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and salt. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes until lentils fall apart.
4.Serve with crushed red pepper.