Sweet and Sour Cabbage with Bacon
A German-inspired side dish. This cabbage is full of sweet, sour, and salty flavors.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 4 slices bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 onion, thinly sliced,
- 1 medium green cabbage, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
Preparation time 15mins
Adapted from spicysouthernkitchen.com
Heat oil in a large, heavy pot (I use a Dutch oven) over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crisp, stirring frequently.
Use a slotted spoon to transfer bacon to a plate. Add onion and cabbage to pot and cook, stirring often, until cabbage is wilted (about 10 minutes).
Add vinegar, sugar, and soy sauce and cook until cabbage is crisp-tender, about 10 more minutes.
Stir in bacon.
You'll also love
- One Pot Pasta 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie Recipe 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Cheesy Grilled Potato Packets 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Beef Stew with Mushrooms, Rosemary... 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Kielbasa and Cabbage 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Sweet and Spicy Chicken Bacon Wraps 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls 4.5/5 (19 Votes)