Why place an order for delivery when you can have this healthier version of Mongolian Beef in less time it would take to deliver, only 30 minutes!
- Vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 pounds flank steak, sliced
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- Green onions, sliced
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from tablefortwoblog.com
In a small saucepot, over medium heat, add 2 teaspoons. of vegetable oil and sauté ginger and garlic until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the soy sauce, water, and brown sugar and stir to combine. Bring mixture to a boil and let boil for 3 minutes, then remove from heat and set aside.
In a large bowl, toss sliced flank steak with cornstarch, shaking off the excess. Place in fridge for 10 minutes to allow coating to stick better on the beef.
After 10 minutes, in a heavy bottom saucepan, over medium high heat, add 1/2 cup of vegetable oil and add the beef to the pan, in batches, to sear the outside on all sides, but barely cooked in the middle. Remove and let drain on paper towels as you finish up the rest of the beef. Pour out any excess oil in the saucepan.
Place the saucepan back on the burner, but on medium heat, and pour in the sauce from earlier. It should come to a boil immediately. Add in the steak and coat with the sauce. Continue cooking beef and sauce at a boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. The sauce will thicken gradually. Add in the scallions.
Serve hot over white or brown rice.
Place leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
You'll also love
- Cake Mix: Caramel Apple Cupcakes 4.6/5 (132 Votes)
- Self-Frosting Pumpkin Nutella... 4.5/5 (137 Votes)
- Melt in Your Mouth Chicken Breast 4.5/5 (141 Votes)
- Cheesy Bacon Brussels Sprouts 4.5/5 (140 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Ranch Pork Chops 4.1/5 (246 Votes)
- Beef Quesadillas 4.6/5 (133 Votes)
- Pasta Fagioli Slow Cooker Crock... 4.6/5 (130 Votes)
- Slow Roasted Beef (Cook's... 4.4/5 (147 Votes)