The Best Apple Crumb Cake
- for the topping:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons of milk
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup + 2 teaspoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 or 3 medium apples, washed, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Grease and flour an 8" round springform pan. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
to make the topping:
In a medium bowl, whisk together both sugars, cinnamon, salt and flour. Add melted butter and fluff with fork until mixtures creates crumbs. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, toss together apple slices with two tablespoons of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and the apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
to make the cake:
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. In a large measuring cup, mix together milk, vanilla, oil and egg. Whisk until smooth.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon. Do not over mix. Few lumps in the batter are okay.
Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan.
Arrange apple slices over the batter.
Sprinkle crumb topping over the apples covering completely.
Bake the cake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.
Let cool completely in the pan.
Transfer onto a serving plate or stand. Slice and serve.
Keep in a covered container for up to 4 days.