Tuscan Chicken Stew
This has 0 Points on the Weight Watchers Simply Filling Program.
- 1 chicken (5-6 lbs.)
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2-3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 5 medium red potatoes, sliced
- 1 15-oz. can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 Roma tomatoes, halved lengthwise and sliced
Cooking time 150mins
Adapted from ziplist.com
In a large Dutch oven or stockpot, simmer chicken, water, chicken broth, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper and bay leaf, covered, over medium-low heat for one hour. Remove chicken and set aside to cool. Pour broth through strainer and add broth back to Dutch oven.
Bring broth to a boil and add celery, carrots, onions, potatoes, beans, thyme, garlic, paprika, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, tomatoes and remaining 1-2 teaspoons salt (taste before adding salt - your chicken broth may have extra salt so it is better to check before adding more) and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Reduce heat to medium and cook, uncovered for 45 minutes (cooking this uncovered will help reduce it and enhance the flavor).
Meanwhile, remove skin and bones from chicken; shred or chop chicken, cover and set aside. Once vegetables and broth have cooked for 45 minutes, add chicken and stir to combine. Cover pot, remove from heat and let stew rest for 30 minutes. Stir and serve with crusty Italian or French bread.
You'll also love
- Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes 4.3/5 (24 Votes)
- Mexican Corn Cake 4.3/5 (24 Votes)
- Bacon Double Cheeseburger Beer... 4/5 (33 Votes)
- Sour Dough Pizza Dough - Sausage,... 4.3/5 (24 Votes)
- Chicken Breasts With Mushroom... 4.3/5 (24 Votes)
- Creamy Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes 4.3/5 (24 Votes)
- Air Fryer Chicken & Noodles 4.3/5 (31 Votes)
- Antipasto Salad 4.5/5 (10 Votes)