Beef & Cabbage Stir-Fry with Peanut Sauce
- 1/4 cup smooth natural peanut butter
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound sirloin steak, trimmed and thinly sliced (see Tip)
- 1 small head Savoy cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2-5 tablespoons water
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1/4 cup chopped unsalted roasted peanuts, (optional)
Whisk peanut butter, orange juice, soy sauce, vinegar and sugar in a medium bowl until smooth.
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add steak and cook, stirring, until browned and barely pink in the middle, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
Reduce heat to medium. Swirl in the remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Add cabbage and 2 tablespoons water; cook, stirring, until beginning to wilt, 3 to 5 minutes. Add carrots (and more water if necessary to prevent sticking or burning) and cook, stirring, until just tender, about 3 minutes more. Return the steak and any accumulated juices to the pan, then pour in the peanut sauce and toss to combine. Serve sprinkled with peanuts (if using).