- 1 pound cubed beef stew meat
- 2 (10.75 ounce) can condensed golden
- mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- a dollop of sour cream
- salt, pepper, garlic powder
- 1/2 package of onion soup mix
Adapted from allrecipes.com
1. In a slow cooker, combine the meat, soup, onion, Worcestershire sauce and water.
2. Cook on Low setting for 8 hours, or on High setting for about 5 hours. Stir in cream cheese just before serving.
A review that I read before making:
I read almost all of the 400+ reviews and made modifications based on them. To save everyone else some time, here's what they say to do (and what I did...and it came out great): (1) add salt, pepper, and garlic, (2) double the sauce but keep the cream cheese and Worcestershire the same, (3) use Golden Mushroom, not Cream of Mushroom or don't make this at all, (4) reduce the cooking time to about 5-6 hours on low, (5) add a "dollop" of sour cream when you add the cream cheese to get an extra "tang", (6) add a bullion cube, (7) add a half packet of onion soup mix, (8) serve over egg noodles, (9) add sautéed mushrooms about 1/2 an hour before serving. I know this isn't true to the original recipe, but I trusted others and I think it helped. Great slow-cooker recipe. I froze the leftovers (egg noodles and all) in my Seal-a-Meal and then just boiled the bag to reheat. It was great the second time around!