Buffalo Cauliflower “Chicken” Sandwich (Vegan)
- 1 medium head of cauliflower
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 2 to 3 TB buffalo sauce (depending on how spicy you want it)
- 1/2 cup chickpea/garbanzo flour
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp fine sea salt
- dash cayenne pepper
- 2 whole wheat hamburger buns
- sandwich fixings- lettuce, red onion, tomato, and vegan ranch for me!
Adapted from cleaneatingveggiegirl.com
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly spray a baking sheet with olive oil spray. Set aside.
2. Cut the head of cauliflower in half, leaving the “stem” intact. From each half of the head of cauliflower, cut 1-inch thick slices from the flouret part of the cauliflower down to the stem. Continue to leave the stem intact. You will likely end up with two sandwich-sized pieces of cauliflower, though I baked a few extra smaller pieces and ate them on the side- because they are so good!
3. In a shallow bowl, whisk together the almond milk and buffalo sauce until well-combined. In a separate shallow bowl, combine the flour and spices.
4. Bread the cauliflower by dipping it into the buffalo sauce mixture (reserve leftovers) and then transferring it to the second bowl and coating it with the flour/spices mixture.
5. Place the cauliflower onto the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pieces of cauliflower.
6. Bake cauliflower for apprpoximately 20 minutes. Flip and continue baking approximately 15 minutes, or until both sides are golden brown.
7. Using a basting brush, brush the cauliflower with the remaining buffalo sauce mixture.
8. Bake an additional 10 minutes, or until crispy.