Vegetable Farro Soup
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium leek, white and pale green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 cup farro or wheat berries
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 quarts water
- One 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced basil
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
Adapted from jovinacooksitalian.com
In a large soup pot, heat the oil and add the celery, onion and leek. Cook over moderately high heat, stirring a few times, until softened, 5 minutes.
Add the farro and tomato paste and cook, stirring, until the grains are coated and shiny, 30 seconds.
Add 1 quart of the water, sweet potato and the beans and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
Add the carrots and the remaining 1 quart of water. Cover and cook over low heat until the carrots are tender, 30 minutes.
Add the peas, cover and cook until tender, at the most 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, top with basil and Parmesan cheese, if using. Serve with bread sticks.