Grapefruit and White Beets with Yogurt and Tarragon
Rather than fussily cutting the grapefruit into neat segments, chef Ignacio Mattos cuts them crosswise into disks; he likes the slightly bitter flavor of the membrane itself.
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 4 medium white or Chioggia (candy-stripe) beets (about 1 lb.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 white grapefruits
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup fresh tarragon leaves
Adapted from Bonappetit.com
Preheat oven to 350°. Toast pine nuts on a rimmed baking sheet, tossing occasionally, until golden brown, 6–8 minutes; let cool.
Increase oven heat to 400°. Place beets on a sheet of parchment paper set on top of a sheet of foil; rub beets with oil and season with salt. Close up parchment and foil around beets. Place packet on a baking sheet and roast beets until tender, 40–50 minutes.
Unwrap beets and let cool.
Peel beets and thinly slice into rounds. Toss beets and vinegar in a medium bowl; season with salt and let stand 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, finely grate ½ tsp. zest from 1 grapefruit and set aside. Using a sharp, small knife, cut all peel and white pith from both grapefruits; discard. Thinly slice grapefruit into rounds.
Place yogurt in a small bowl; season with salt and mix well. Spoon onto plates. Top yogurt with beets and sliced grapefruit, then tarragon, toasted pine nuts, and reserved grapefruit zest.
DO AHEAD: Beets can be roasted 2 days ahead; let cool. Cover and chill. Pine nuts can be toasted 1 day ahead; store airtight at room temperature.
Calories (kcal) 210 Fat (g) 10 Saturated Fat (g) 2 Cholesterol (mg) 5 Carbohydrates (g) 13 Dietary Fiber (g) 2 Total Sugars (g) 10 Protein (g) 2 Sodium (mg) 230
You'll also love
- Welsh Rabbit (Rarebit) British... 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Tuscan Roasted Butternut Squash 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Shrimp and Corn Cakes 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Layered Strawberry-Coconut Panna... 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Cranberry-Pistachio Energy Bars 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Orange juice 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Beet and Goat Cheese-Filled Endive 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Pappardelle with Lemon Gremolata... 4.3/5 (7 Votes)