Cod in Butter Sauce
- 6 large sage leaves
- 1/2 lb butter plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 lbs cod fillets
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup clam juice (or dry white wine)
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
Adapted from 12tomatoes.com
In a deep, large skillet melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Fry the sage leaves on both sides until crispy. Remove to a saucepan (1qt minimum), keeping the butter in the skillet. Add another tablespoon butter to the skillet and set aside.
In the saucepan with the sage, add the clam juice, dry sherry, whole milk, garlic, shallots, and bay leaf. Bring the mixture to a boil until it reduces by half.
Heat another tablespoon of butter in a separate saucepan on medium heat until foamy. Sprinkle with flour, stirring a couple of minutes with a metal whisk until well mixed and the sage breaks. You want the mixture to be tan but not brown.
Slowly add the reduced mixture to the flour mixture, stirring quickly to incorporate. Turn the heat to low, then whisk in the 2 sticks of butter 2 tablespoons at a time. Add the lemon juice, salt, and white pepper. Once all is incorporated, set aside.
Season the cod with salt and pepper. Set the flame on the stove to medium-high and cook the fillets for 5 minutes on the first side.
Carefully flip the fillets and cook for another 3-5 minutes, or until the cod is cooked through. Carefully remove the cod from the pan, split the sauce over the fillets, and add the chopped parsley just before serving.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato and Rice Soup 4/5 (24 Votes)
- Stuffed Cabbage (Mom's) 4.2/5 (17 Votes)
- Baked Haddock with Lime Butter 4.2/5 (32 Votes)
- Cioppino for Two 3.9/5 (24 Votes)
- Smoked Salmon Salad in Cucumber... 4/5 (16 Votes)
- Seared Scallops with Pinot Gris... 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Poached Cod with Tomato and Saffron 4.3/5 (11 Votes)
- Grilled Turbot with White Wine and... 4/5 (1 Votes)