Black Bean Fiesta Burgers
- 1 1/2 cups black beans, drained/canned (unsalted)
- 3 Tbsp fine bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup baked/mashed sweet potato
- 3 Tbsp chopped cilantro - including stems
- 1/3 cup diced white onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 jalapeno, diced/de-seeded
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast - or use more bread crumbs
- a few dashes of chipotle powder or cayenne for extra heat
- Cilantro Jicama Fiesta Slaw
- 5 round onion slices and 5 round tomato slices
- optional: lime-juice spritzed avocado slices (highly recommended!)
1. First off prepare the Fiesta Slaw according to the directions. (recipe) - Chill in fridge until ready to add to burgers.
2. Next up, prepare the burgers. Pulse all the ingredients in a food processor. You can also mash well by hand - but a fp is a tad faster. Next, hand-form burger patties with the mixture and place them on a lightly greased baking sheet. I like to roll my burgers in a touch of bread crumbs so that they have nice crisp edges.
3. Bake your burgers at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Cool for a few minutes before assembling burgers. The last 5 minutes of cooking - add your burger buns to the oven to warm/toast them.
4. Assemble those burgers!