Chunky Potato Soup
- 3 medium red potatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 small onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Crushed red pepper flakes Ground black pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed cooked ham
Preparation time 35mins
Cooking time 65mins
1. Peel potatoes and cut into 1-inch cubes.
2. Bring water to a boil in large saucepan. Add potatoes and cook until tender. Drain, reserving liquid. Set aside potatoes.Measure 1 cup cooking liquid, adding water, if necessary; set aside.
3.Peel and finely chop onion. Melt butter In saucepan over medium heat. Add onion to saucepan; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent and tender, but not brown.
4.Add flour to saucepan; season with pepper flakes and black pepper to taste. Cook 3 to 4 minutes.
5.Gradually add potatoes, reserved 1 cup cooking liquid, milk and sugar to onion mixture in saucepan; stir well. Add cheese and ham. Simmer over low heat 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Store leftovers, covered, in refrigerator.