Double Cheese Tortellini Casserole
Cheese is in the tortellini as well as the sauce.
- 3 cups frozen small cheese tortellini
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups diced ham or cooked chicken
- 3 TBSP. unsalted butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 TBSP. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups half and half or milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tsp. Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh basil
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Cooking time 60mins
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a medium size casserole.
Prepare the tortellini according to the pkg. directions. When the tortellini has about 2 minutes of cooking time remaining, add the broccoli.
Drain. then transfer the tortellini and broccoli to the casserole. Sprinkle with the diced ham.
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the garlic and flour, and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the half-and-half and chicken stock and whisk to blend. Simmer, whisking constantly, for 3 to 4 minutes, until thickened. Add the mustard, basil, and half of the cheese and whisk or stir to blend. Remove from the heat. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Pour the sauce over the tortellini and ham. Mix gently to coat, and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake for 30 minutes, or until bubbly.