Easy Crockpot Black Bean Soup
- 8 slices nitrate-free bacon
- 1 cup diced bell pepper (yellow, red, or orange)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 5 cloves fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 5-6 cans of black beans, drained (or 8-10 cups soaked and cooked black beans)
- 4 cups homemade chicken broth
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
Adapted from thenourishinghome.com
Fry bacon in a pan (I love my cast-iron!) Remove cooked bacon and set aside.
Using the bacon grease in the pan, sauté peppers, onions, and garlic until mostly translucent.
Add cumin and salt to the pepper mixture, and stir to combine for about a minute.
Add the pepper mixture and all remaining ingredients to a 6-quart slow cooker set on low heat.
Crumble up the bacon, and add to crockpot as well.
Cook for 6 hours on low (or 4 hours or high).
Use an immersion blender to partially puree the soup, according to your preference. I like mine just shy of all the way blended, but you blend to whatever consistency you prefer.
Serve with your favorite toppings, and enjoy!