Protein-Rich Vegan BBQ Sauce
Barbeque and nut butter aren't your usual combo, but there's no reason they shouldn't be! This version reduces sugar, adds protein and omegas, and tastes better than store-bought. The shrimp shown are sautéed right in a pan, as the sauce has enough smoky, rich flavor that you can skip firing up the grill.
- 1 7 oz. jar tomato puree
- 1/4 cup Nuttzo or other nut butter
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (B grade)
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1/2 tsp chipotle powder
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 10mins
1. Mix all ingredients together until a smooth sauce is formed.
2. In a small saucepan, boil gently for 5 minutes, until sauce is darkened.