Mexican Potato Casserole
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (10% or less fat)
- 2 green bell peppers seeded and chopped
- 8 scallions sliced
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large baking potatoes scrubbed, and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup shredded nonfat cheddar cheese
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13- by 9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Add the beef, bell peppers and scallions; cook, stirring as needed, until the beef is browned and the vegetables are softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, black pepper and salt; cook, stirring as needed, until the flavors are blended, about 5 minutes.
Arrange alternate layers of the potatoes and beef mixture in the baking dish. Cover with foil and bake 40 minutes; uncover and sprinkle evenly with the cheese. Bake until the potatoes are cooked through and the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes longer.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Per Serving: 327 Calories, 10 g Total Fat, 3 g Saturated Fat, 46 mg Cholesterol, 386 mg Sodium, 37 g Total Carbohydrate, 6 g Dietary Fiber, 27 g Protein, 248 mg Calcium.
Serving Provides: 1 Bread, 1 Fruit/Vegetable, 2 Protein/Milk.
Points Per Serving: 6.