Funche (Puerto Rican Polenta)
- 1 cup of coarse ground cornmeal
- 2 cups of water
- 1 heaping cup of chopped onions
- 1/2 -3/4 diced green pepper
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon chicken buillon or 1 cube
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup of canola oil
Adapted from hispanickitchen.com
1. In a medium sauce pan, heat oil at medium high until it shimmers.
2. Add onions, garlic, green peppers, cilantro, cumin, oregano and black pepper and cook until the onions are translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the cornmeal and stir until it's combined with the veggies.
4. Add the 2 cups of water and the bouillon cube.
5. Keep stirring until most of the water is absorbed and it turns into a thick porridge,
6. Take off the heat, remove the cilantro sprigs, and stir in the 2 tablespoons of butter.