Gluten free chocolate cake/cupcakes (Bob's Red Mill) (optionally CF/optionally Vegan)
- 16 oz Bob's Red Mill GF Chocolate Cake Mix (2-3/4 cups)
- 4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 cup Butter, Margarine or Earth Balance Buttery Spread, softened
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 cup Hot (110°F) Water
- 2 Large Eggs*
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1/2 cup applesauce (unsweetened, no sugar added)
- 1/2 milk of choice (soy, cow, almond, hemp, rice or nut)
- 3/4 tsp liquid vanilla stevia
- 3/4 cup allergy free chocolate chips if desired
Have all ingredients at room temperature. Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously grease two 8- inch round cake pans. Using large bowl and electric mixer, cream 1/2 cup softened butter or margarine until smooth. Add cake mix, cocoa, milk mixed with 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, applesauce, stevia, and two large eggs. Beat 30 seconds on low speed to blend ingredients, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Next, beat one minute on low-medium speed. Add 1/3 cup hot (110°F) water and vanilla extract. Beat thoroughly for one minute. Fold in chocolate chips if desired.
Transfer batter to prepared pans. Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Remove from oven; cool 10-15 minutes on wire rack. Loosen edges of cake with sharp knife. Place right side up on wire rack to cool completely before cutting. Place your favorite frosting between the two layers, then frost entire cake.
* For an eggless option, combine 2 Tbsp. Bob's Red Mill Flaxseed Meal and 6 Tbsp water in a small bowl. Let stand for 2 minutes and use it in place of the eggs called for in the directions above or use commercial egg replacement powder/mix as directed on the package to replace 2 eggs
* Vinegar can replace lemon juice if desired.
For Cupcakes: Prepare batter as described above; use paper baking liners in muffin tin; fill 2/3 full. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes. Makes 18 cupcakes.