Cabbage: Brown Sugar Spiced Red Cabbage
note: this recipe can be made a day ahead and refrigerated,
reheat before serving
- 1/4 c. bacon drippings or unsalted butter
- 1 head red cabbage, very thinly sliced
- 1 red onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1/2 c. cider vinegar
- 1/2 c. port
- 1/4 c. packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 90mins
1. Heat drippings in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add cabbage and onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes.
2. Add vinegar, port, sugar, cinnamon, and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is soft, about 1 hour. Season with salt and pepper.