- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 box couscous - (10 oz)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium zucchini diced
- 1 medium yellow squash diced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 can chick peas - (19 oz) rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely-ground black pepper or to taste
- 24 loose-leaf lettuce leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley leaves
In a medium saucepan, bring the broth to a boil; stir in the couscous. Remove from the heat; cover and set aside until all of the liquid is absorbed, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion and garlic; cook, stirring as needed, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the zucchini, yellow squash and bell pepper; cook, stirring as needed, until the vegetables are tender-crisp, about 5 minutes.
Transfer the couscous to a large serving bowl; fluff with a fork. Add the vegetables, chickpeas, lemon juice and black pepper; toss with a fork. Refrigerate, covered, until chilled, at least 2 hours.
Line each of 8 salad plates with 3 lettuce leaves; top with the couscous mixture and serve, sprinkled with the parsley.
This recipe yields 8 servings.
Per Serving: 216 Calories, 3 g Total Fat, 0 g Saturated Fat, 0 mg Cholesterol, 304 mg Sodium, 40 g Total Carbohydrate, 4 g Dietary Fiber, 8 g Protein, 43 mg Calcium.
Serving Provides: 1 Bread, 1 Fruit/Vegetable, 1 Protein/Milk.
Points Per Serving: 4.