Cucumber and Lemon Grass Sorbet
- 1 stalk lemon grass
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 1 field or English cucumber, about 1 lb (500 g)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
1. Trim ends from lemon grass and cut stalks into thirds. Cut each piece in half, lengthwise. Smash remaining lemon grass with back side of a knife to bruise and release flavour. In a saucepan, combine lemon grass, sugar and water. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Simmer for about 5 minutes or until syrupy and fragrant. Let cool to room temperature.
2. Gently scrub cucumber under cool running water. Chop coarsely and combine in a blender or food processor with enough of the lemon grass syrup (avoiding the lemon grass) to blend. Purée until smooth. Add remaining syrup and lemon grass and pulse to coarsely chop lemon grass. Press through a sieve into a bowl, discarding solids. Stir in lemon juice and salt. Cover and refrigerate until cold.
3. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. Transfer to a chilled container and freeze until firm and scoopable or for up to 2 days. (Alternatively, pour into a shallow metal pan and freeze until almost firm. Transfer to a food processor or blender and purée until smooth. Transfer to a chilled container and freeze until firm and scoopable or for up to 2 days.)
4. To serve, scoop sorbet into chilled glasses or bowls.
You'll also love
- Broccoli Florets With Beurre Blanc 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Turkey Cranberry Wontons 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Blood Orange Martini 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Acorn Cakelets 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Orange Slice Cookies 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Strawberry Lemonade Punch 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Candied Cucumber Rings 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cucumber, Radish, Watercress... 0/5 (0 Votes)