Hot Bacon Caprese Salad
- 2 1/2 pounds heirloom tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 (16-oz.) package fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 6 thick bacon slices, coarsely chopped
- 3 to 4 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Adapted from myrecipes.com
1. Arrange tomatoes and cheese on a serving platter, placing basil leaves between slices. Sprinkle with desired amount of salt and pepper.
2. Saute chopped bacon in a large skillet over medium heat 6 to 8 minutes or until crisp. Remove from heat, reserving bacon and 2 Tbsp. drippings in skillet. Let stand 1 minute. Add vinegar and oil, stirring to loosen browned bits from bottom of skillet. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. kosher salt and 1/2 tsp. black pepper. Drizzle warm bacon mixture over tomatoes and cheese. Serve immediately.