Caramelized Butternut Squash Soup
This is a rich, slightly honey-sweet squash dish. Sautéing the butternut squash in olive oil enhances the flavor prior to blending to a smooth, creamy soup.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly-cracked white pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth, or more as needed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg, or more to taste
- Salt to taste
- Ground white pepper to taste
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 50mins
Adapted from allrecipes.com
Heat olive oil in a large pot over high heat. Cook and stir squash in hot oil until completely browned, about 10 minutes. Stir onion, butter, sea salt, and cracked white pepper into the squash; cook and stir together until the onions are completely tender and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
Pour chicken broth and honey over the mixture; bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook at a simmer until the squash is tender, about 5 minutes.
Pour the mixture into a blender no more than half full. Cover and hold lid in place; pulse a few times before leaving on to blend. Puree in batches until smooth.
Stir cream, nutmeg, salt, and ground white pepper into the soup to serve.
You'll also love
- Easter Basket Cocktail 4.4/5 (15 Votes)
- Bacon Cheddar Jalapeño Corn Dogs 4.4/5 (16 Votes)
- Linguine with Lemon Cream and... 4.4/5 (15 Votes)
- Pumpkin Bread 4.4/5 (15 Votes)
- Double Berry Banana Smoothie 4.4/5 (16 Votes)
- Pumpkin Gems 4.4/5 (15 Votes)
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup 4.4/5 (16 Votes)
- Moroccan Chicken and Butternut... 4.5/5 (6 Votes)