Chicken Salad with Haricots Verts
Does the world need another chicken salad? Yep. This mayo-free one, with herby roasted (not poached) chicken and a mustardy dressing will convince you.
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon herbes de Provence
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more
- 1 3 1/2–4-lb. chicken, patted dry
- 1 pound small waxy potatoes (about 12)
- 8 oz. haricots verts, trimmed
- 1 medium shallot, very finely chopped
- 1/2 garlic clove, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons Sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 radishes, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 6 cups torn mixed tender salad greens (such as butter lettuce, endive, and/or watercress )
- SPECIAL EQUIPMENT
- A spice mill or mortar and pestle
Adapted from bonappetit.com
Coarsely grind fennel seeds, herbes de Provence, and 1 Tbsp. salt in spice mill or with mortar and pestle. Rub chicken inside and out with spice mixture. Let sit at room temperature at least 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 425°. Roast chicken in a roasting pan or large baking dish until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of thigh registers 165°, 45–60 minutes. Let chicken rest at least 10 minutes before carving. When cool enough to handle, pull meat (with skin) into pieces.
While chicken is cooking, place potatoes in a large saucepan, add cold water to cover, and season generously with salt. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender, 15–18 minutes. Transfer potatoes to a large bowl with a slotted spoon; let cool slightly, then cut in half.
Return water in saucepan to a boil and cook haricots verts until just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain; transfer to bowl with potatoes.
Meanwhile, whisk shallot, garlic, vinegar, mustard, thyme, and sugar in a small bowl. Gradually whisk in oil, then 1 Tbsp. water; season vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
Add radishes, salad greens, and chicken to potatoes and haricots verts. Season with salt and pepper, drizzle with vinaigrette, and toss to combine.
DO AHEAD: Chicken can be seasoned 1 day ahead of roasting; cover and chill. Chicken can be roasted 2 days ahead; let cool, cover, and chill. Potatoes and haricots verts can be cooked 1 day ahead; cover and chill. Bring all to room temperature before using.
Calories (kcal) 580 Fat (g) 22 Saturated Fat (g) 3.5 Cholesterol (mg) 150 Carbohydrates (g) 31 Dietary Fiber (g) 4 Total Sugars (g) 3 Protein (g) 65 Sodium (mg) 770