American Macaroni Salad
The America melting pot of macaroni salads, has a little of everything good!
- 2 cups dry elbow macaroni, cooked, rinsed, and drained
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup minced red onion, soaked in cold water for 5 minutes, drained
- 1 tablespoon flat-leaf parsley, minced
- 1/2 cup vine-ripened tomato, diced (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups chedar cheese, chopped or grated
- 1/2 cup prepared mayonnaise
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
Adapted from keyingredient.com
In a large bowl combine the macaroni, celery, onion, parsley and tomato, if using, and cheese.
In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, vinegar, sour cream and salt.
Pour the dressing over the salad and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve. Store covered in the refrigerator, for up to 3 days.