Fondue Neuchâteloise (Cheese Fondue)
Probably the most recognized traditional Swiss meal would be Cheese Fondue. It is traditionally shared during the winter months when good friends gather together. Enjoy!
- 13.5 ounces grated Gruyère cheese
- 1 to 10 cloves garlic, to taste
- 13.5 ounces grated Emmenthal cheese
- 13.5 fluid ounces white wine
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 liquur glass full of Kirsch
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Freshly ground nutmeg, to taste
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
For this recipe you'll need a Fondue pot or Caquelon (a pan made from earthenware) and a Rechaud (a heater to put on the table).
Firstly peel the garlic and cut the cloves coarsely. Cut another clove in half and rub the inside of the Caquelon with it.
Mix the cornstarch in a bit of the cold wine. Add the wine and grated cheese to the Caquelon. Start to heat it slowly and stir it constantly!!
Now pour in the cornstarch mixture and continue to heat. It is extremely important to keep stirring all the time or you won't get a creamy fondue. When the cheese fondue is creamy and has completely melted, add the Kirsch and season with nutmeg and pepper.
At the table, put the Caquelon on the Rechaud (heater). Using long forks, dip cubes of bread into the cheese. Even at the table constant stirring is important otherwise the fondue will catch and turn lumpy.
Fondue is usually served with either white wine or strong black tea. Sometimes, pickled gherkins and onions are also served.
If the fondue gets too runny, add another handful of cheese and let it cook on high heat, or add a little more diluted cornstarch. If it gets too thick, add a little more wine, lemon juice or Kirsch. If it starts to separate, then place it quickly back on the stove on high heat, stir briskly with a whisk and add a little more diluted cornstarch.
Other foods which are often served to dip in the fondue are: boiled, peeled and cubed potatoes, blanched florets of broccoli and other vegetables, diced pieces of pear, grapes and other fruits.
You'll also love
- Esposito Bread & Calzone 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Cherve' Terrine 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Tagliarelle with Truffle Butter 4.4/5 (10 Votes)
- Chocolate Cookie Mix in a Jar 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Quick Julienned Vegetable Saute 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Salsa Verde 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Apple Pecan Pie Baked Brie 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Michelada 4.4/5 (7 Votes)