SWEET DOUGH (Master recipe)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup warm (not hot) water
- 2 packages or cakes yeast, active dry or compressed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups sifted enriched flour
- 2 cups sifted enriched flour (about)
1. Scald milk. Stir in sugar, salt, and shortening. Cool to lukewarm.
2. Measure into bowl 1/2 cup warm water (cool to lukewarm for compressed yeast). Sprinkle or crumble in yeast. Stir until dissolved. Stir in lukewarm milk mixture.
3. Add beaten eggs and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in additional 2 cups flour.
4. Turn dough out on lightly floured board. Knead until smooth and elastic. Place in greased bowl; brush top with soft shortening. Cover. Let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
5. Punch down and turn out on lightly floured board. Proceed according to directions for shaped selected.